Friday 3 July 2015

That 'right' recipe please!

Often I get complaints that I do not give the exact recipe of the dishes that I make exceedingly well. The normal rant – “We tried the recipe you gave us to the T but still it was not appreciated like yours always are; are you lying about some ingredient or process?”
The truth is that the recipe just serves as a guideline. I almost always tailor it to the audience I am catering to except when they are too diverse. That is an art and mind you it comes with getting the pulse of the intended audience’ palate just right and hours of experimentation.
For e.g. I have friends who are not averse to onions as long as they do not see it. Now, if onions are key to getting the flavor and the recipe stated it as to be chopped, my friends would be completely put off no matter how stupendo-fabulous a dish I made. So, I just mask the sight and sometimes even the aroma of the onions with the other ingredients.
Result: That smile, generous praise and of course request for this ‘right’ recipe.

Mom, you really taught me well by never telling me the secret of your fantastic dishes and making me slog to get my perfect result. Thank you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment