Monday 13 July 2015

Purpose...

One of my best friends asked me "What is the purpose of your blog?"
Good question! What should prompt me to create a blog and then dig into my own life to fill up content periodically?
The answer is simple really and my purpose is three-fold -
1.     I want to write; this is really a practice field for me to get better at my writing with the feedback that I get.
2.    I renewed my passions for writing, cooking and travelling; I am still trying to renew my other passions. This would not have been possible if I had not been motivated by my family and close circle of friends. Similarly, I want to be able to motivate people who have talents that have become latent because of the distractions of everyday life.
3.   Now, I would not advise anyone to jump up and start renewing their passion; that would be disastrous. Plan it in such a way that you enjoy the journey and do not have to leave it midway because of circumstances that could have been mitigated had it been planned better.
Even with my planning and perfecting, I do have ‘blooper’ moments and misses which I want to share so that it helps everyone to plan better.
Happy Reenuing!

On the subject of blooper moments, let me share one that happened lately-

It was a hectic weekend as usual. Three of my friends were coming to dinner and another friend who could not make it, suggested a good menu – peas pulav, daal tadka & egg bhurji.
Now, these are things that I can do beautifully and quite fast even with my eyes closed or so it has been from experience. Thus there I was on a very warm Saturday evening around 6:30 p.m. attempting to make all of the above within an hour so that I could be ready before the pre-decided time which was 8 p.m.

All was well, the music channel on TV was switched on (this helps me cook better, I feel). There was also a slew of Whatsapp messages for the different groups that I am part of and then Facebook notifications which I had to just open, check and comment. Since the menu was something that was quite amateurish for me, I felt that I could do both quite easily. Distracted that I was with exciting news on Whatsapp (it was sort of raining excitement in everyone’ life which they wanted to share so what better place other than Whatsapp / Facebook), I did not put that drop of oil in the daal that stops it from spilling over from the pressure cooker.
I was standing right next to the pressure cooker when the whistle rang and there was a big spray of yellow colored steam on my cheek and my arm.
But did that stop me from texting? No no no! I simply wiped my stinging arm and face but soon I figured that I could not do the same with the daal all over my cooking platform; that required a little bit of cleaning so that the stain would not remain.
With my iPhone in one hand, still texting mind you, I decided to clean up my mess. Only to be distracted some more by that spate of Whatsapp messages. I wondered what is with people on the weekend… always texting, never mind that I am also one of those. Anyway, the cleaning bowl with soap water landed on my dress and that prompted a longer-than-usual-bath which had my friends standing outside my house for a good 5-10 minutes.

As was not at all expected when I started out, dinner was an unmitigated disaster! I ranted about it on… can you believe this? …. Whatsapp.

Note to Self: Arrogance can be quite a fall, especially with distractions like Whatsapp, Facebook and the like. So, while creating your masterpieces no matter how much you are the master of those, avoid distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment