Wednesday 1 July 2015

My dear Ammachi

It has been 11 years since my grandmother (we called her Ammachi) passed away. She was always a beacon of radiance because of her sweet unassuming smile and easy demeanor. She never complained even though she was widowed young with eleven children to look after. She carried on with grace and a strong faith in the Almighty.
What I love most about her is the fact that despite being one of 20 grandchildren, I got letters from her periodically to catch up on every major event in my life. Each of my replies were saved in this trunk where she kept every memorabilia that she possessed. I was motivated to write very elaborately of my life filling every part of that inland letter because I knew how she savored every word that I wrote.
I know you are looking down at me from heavens above with that ever-smiling face and motivating me to write, describe, and feel every moment.
This opening post is my tribute to you!

Gone are the days of inlands and even phone calls, dear Ammachi. Now we have skype, email and Whatsapp. Your daughter and my mother who has 2 adorable grandchildren cannot be disturbed during the ‘skype’ moments with them where songs are sung, every accomplishment is discussed and kudos are passed on ‘live’. Technology has brought her so much closer to her grandkids; she is indeed very lucky.

However, there are many grandparents who are isolated and have absolutely no idea of what their grandchildren are up to in their life despite so many means of communication. I want to take a leaf from the movie ‘Lage Raho Munnabhai’ and send a ‘Thank you’ note in advance to all who ‘replied’ to their grandparents today.

1 comment:

  1. Totally Agree. Unfortunately I don’t have a surviving grandparent since I was 8 yrs old. But what you write holds true for parents as well....and I can say outta personal experience that one feel so much satisfaction by just being there for your parents...

    ReplyDelete