Friday 30 October 2015

Happy Halloween!

It was the first time I was celebrating Halloween. Curious about the history of Halloween, I did some research on the significance. I read about the Christian influence first - Halloween is actually ‘Hallow’ Eve’ where you remember the dead specifically the saints on All Saints’ Day (Nov 1st) and all the departed souls on All Souls’ Day(Nov 2nd). In pre-Christian era, this was celebrated as the end of summer. 
Now, while I was in India, October being the month of the Holy Rosary, on the last day we would have the Rosary being recited throughout the day with a group of people heading each half-hour. Then came the 2 days of remembrance of the departed souls – All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.

In those days, I was under the influence of cable television and American movies where Halloween was a day where you dressed up as some scary person, heard spooky stories and ate and drank weird colored stuff. So, now that I was finally in the US, I was excited to get into the spirit of Halloween. 
True to my influence, I wanted to be a witch. I got all the accessories the cape, the hair and the hat, the blood-red nails and even my very own spider. My dress had those witches herbs and I covered my neck with a red scarf too. Check me out!


Unfortunately, I am lacking the evil visage and coupled with my smile (which I almost always involuntarily do when I am posing for a photo), I don’t look in the least bit spooky or scary which was the intent. Maybe I can be the good witch, eh?

Note to self: It is not only important to have all the accessories but also the act to look your part.


Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment