Sunday 6 December 2015

Victorian with an Indian twist

A few weeks ago, I was at my friends’ house when her sister showed me this piece of material which was pristine white and self-printed. Now that I was crafting kids’ stuff, she wanted me to extend it to this piece of material. She had several nice-to-have requirements too – wearable with any of her cotton leggings, salwars and any of her stoles / duppattas, high possibility of wearing on Independence / Republic day and so on.
Also, she wanted something similar yet different (how is that possible, I wondered…) for her sister, my friend who BTW is very picky when it comes to design and colors – simple and not too colorful, acceptable colors – white, black, maroon, green and golden / saffron.

Ideas swirled around my head.
Since my friend hated too many colors, I thought I would play with lace and ruffles for her kurta and since her sister had these requirements, I thought of colored lace and trims so that she could wear it with any type and color of pajama bottoms and even stoles or duppattas.
The result: What you see in the picture!


We asked my friend to try it out and do like a catwalk for us and when she did, the rest of our friends gushed on how she looked like a Victorian doll. White lace and ruffles and just a dash of colors from the Indian flag... the effect was just as intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment