Thursday 18 February 2016

Gift that chic, slim, and girly look to your newbie Mom friend!

Newbie Moms are so temperamental. They are worried about so many things about their baby like -  Is my baby feeding right? Why is my baby crying? Am I holding my baby right?, and then about themselves - Am I a good mother? When will I lose weight? Why do all my dresses make me look fat? When will I lose this tummy? I feel like eating all the time, should I stop? When do I exercise; I hardly have time to sleep?
The list is endless. If you have spent time with newbie Moms then probably you would have had this experience. The thing that really gets to you is that no matter what you say, she is not satisfied with your answer and holds out for that ever-elusive all-encompassing accurate answer.

I think it is best to avoid answers to her physical attractiveness. I mean if you say “No dear, you have lost weight”, she may promptly reply “What rubbish, I was so thin just about two years ago!” Or if you give tips to lose the tummy she will glare and say how easy it was two years ago to eat right, exercise and show off a flat tummy.
Obviously! two years ago, she was also not a mother of this baby. But this can be said only at your own peril.

However, no matter how irrational she is being now, she is still your friend and you want to try and make her feel better about herself.
I decided to make her look chic, slim and girly.

For the material, I took this silk sari that had been gifted but never worn and did not look like it would be worn anytime soon.
For the color, I chose purple… the color of royal robes. I want her to feel like a queen.
For the pattern,
I worked on main areas – 1. Make her look slimmer which means distributing body weight so that she stands tall and thus sport a slim silhouette, 2. Cover the butt even while walking, 3. Make her shapely so the cut would have to be such that all her apprehensive areas should not be evident.
I kept the kurta long to make her stand tall with the slit about 4 inches below the butt to cover it gracefully and the cut was shapely without highlighting any of the problem areas.
To get the ‘girly’ bit in, I chose to make the sleeves frilly just like most of the dresses worn by her baby daughter… that should have her feeling like she was ‘two years ago’, right?

Now, cutting a dress from a sari may seem easy but believe me that you have to be precise with the measurements of the adjustments that need to be done to convert the sari into the kurta. 
Tips: 
  1. If you have tons of saris gifted to you over the years but you hardly ever wear them, this is a good way to convert these saris to clothes that you will wear more often.
  2. If you are a beginner, then cut the pattern pieces on paper first with the accurate measurements and then cut the cloth by placing the pattern pieces over to guide you.
  3. Look up in YouTube if you have doubts about how to do the neckline or attaching the sleeves perfectly; plenty of videos there. 
  4. Practice, practice, practice.... soon you would be able to gift the special people in your life these fruits of your labor. 

Effort - tremendous.
Output – I love it.
Effect – Watch this blog for update on the surprise!




No comments:

Post a Comment