Thursday 11 February 2016

Even if you missed the Sula Fest last week, don't miss an experience at the Sula Vineyards

Ever since I visited Sula Vineyards last year, I had thought of being one of the 12,000+ people for the Sula Fest this year. Alas! Last weekend was another one of those ‘very busy’ weekends. However, I recommend that you make a trip if you have not done so already.

Let me tell you, when my cousins suggested driving and staying a weekend at Sula Vineyards, I was really skeptical. I mean I had been to vineyards all over the world and I was thinking compared to those... this won't impress me much.
Anyway, I thank God and my cousins for pulling me into this adventure.

So, we rented a self-drive ZoomCar and set out. Within 4 hours of a very scenic drive, we were at ‘Beyond’, a Sula resort. The road to this resort could do with complete remodelling; such were the potholes and I was starting to think that I was right in my estimation that it was not going to impress. But, I was having so much fun with my cousins so I lowered my expectations.
As we were driving up to the resort, I was pleasantly surprised and charmed by the surroundings. While, we were checking in to ‘Beyond’, we were welcomed with wine… Sula of course. Our rooms were really spacious with a balcony or sit-out where we could sip wine and enjoy the scenery beyond. It cannot be a resort without the swimming pool; except the one here is called the Infinity Pool – the water seems to be pouring down to the vineyards beyond.
Now I know why they named the resort ‘Beyond’!

While the guys were enjoying the pool; the girls were checking out the pool table in the Red Room which also has a variety of indoor games to keep everyone busy from foosball, table tennis, carom boards. After the guys joined, we had ‘girls vs boys’ competition where we would play all these games and total the points. Nothing was very healthy about this competition especially after the girls seemed to be beating the guys. Try as they might though, the guys were no match for the girls and the intelligent girls quit while they were ahead.
Although CafĂ© Rose caters to the guests’ palate all day long, we decided to do the Vineyard tour and have lunch there. Lunch was a simple affair; the highlight being the pitcher of Sangria that we ordered and drank to our hearts’ content.
The tour and wine-tasting afterwards were in every way comparable to vineyards all over the world and that is why Sula has 70%+ market share of the wine making in India. My Mom’s 65th birthday was around the corner and she loves her wine; so I bought her the Sula Zinfandel (red), Sula Riesling (white) and Sula Brut (sparkling) of which she loved the Riesling the best.
A walk around the amphitheatre on the grounds worked well to dish up a good appetite for dinner. I read about the power packed performances here during the Sula Fest last week; I missed them especially Kailash Kher.

We played cards well into the night, got into our usual spats over ‘cheating’ and the like. We also tried working out at the gym overlooking the pool. Somehow, gym is not our cup of tea…. a walk around before breakfast was opted for then. Breakfast was very elaborate and we spent about almost an hour sampling the various sumptuous options.
We zoomed into Mumbai even though it was much after the appointed time but ZoomCar folks were very accommodating of the late notice... Yay! 





Overall, it was a funtastttic not-to-miss experience. Even if you missed the Sula fest this year, don’t miss this paradise about 180 km beyond Mumbai.



No comments:

Post a Comment