Sunday 14 February 2016

A kitty kind of love!

When I arrived at my home in Kerala in January, Mom told me that my dear cat Pullikutty had given birth to a little white kitten. Unfortunately, Pullikutty had hidden the kitten somewhere where we could not find it. Mom consoled me saying that the kitten sometimes came in out of nowhere literally and spent time with its mother.
Pullikutty seemed happy to see me and followed me everywhere like Mary’ little lamb that day; there was no sign of the kitten however. I was disappointed but not for long…
Because bright and early the next day, Pullikutty and the little kitten were waiting for me. The kitten is absolutely adorable and played ‘Peek-a-boo’ with me. 
My little niece Mehak who is around 4 months old was visiting us and this was her first live experience with a cat; she was amazed at this little white ball of hair. The kitten tried its best to befriend Mehak by mewing… I think.
For the next couple of days, the kitten made its appearance all of maybe twice that too for very short times. On the day, I was to return to Mumbai, I was again disappointed by the absence of the kitten; I felt sad that I won’t be able to say bye-bye.
Still I decided to try my luck with Pullikutty. I told her that I was leaving and I wanted to see the ‘kitten’. I made the shape of kitten with my hands and even made some mewing noises. Pullikutty had this look as if I had gone crazy and my parents were busy trying to stifle their laughter at my antics.
I went off to my room to do a last-minute check of my stuff. About half hour later, my Dad called me downstairs saying there was a surprise for me. I was curious so I rushed down.

At the door sat Pullikutty and its kitten.


Words cannot really express how I felt. Pullikutty had understood my antics and got its kitten so that I could say my goodbye. Even my parents who were laughing earlier, had looks of genuine amazement.

I truly believe that you don’t need a language for love; just a genuine heartfelt action that would have most people thinking you are crazy, would do for even an animal to understand you.

Here is to love that needs no language on Valentine’ Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment